Super Foods That Help Fight Cancer
Over the years, the big C is still as dreaded as ever. Cancer is still one of the scariest diseases, if not the scariest of all. It still is the number one cause of deaths in the entire world population, which is why there is no excuse for anybody to not want to do something that could possibly prevent it from making an entrance to the body.
Several studies have been conducted by medical experts into finding ways to help combat cancer before it even shows up to be a problem in our life. They have found out that some foods, better known today as ‘super foods’ can actually be helpful in fighting cancer.
These are the foods you should start stocking up in your pantry, working in with your recipes, and adding to your daily diet.
- Known to be good for the heart, this versatile vegetable is also good for other body parts.
Its anti-inflammatory properties have been proven to be very good in lowering blood pressure. It has also been found to keep cancer cells from multiplying.
- Studies show that people who eat more garlic have lesser risks of developing digestive system-related cancer.
Cancer on the colon, stomach, and esophagus can be prevented by consuming garlic. While it is not yet known for sure how much daily intake is needed to maximize the effects, a clove a day is already a good start.
Green, leafy vegetables
- Leafy greens have an exceptional amount of vitamins and minerals.
When choosing which leafy green vegetable to focus on, there is no need to completely disregard the others. You can rotate them for variety, but each kind is said to have the same good effects on your health. You can have spinach, collard greens, romaine, watercress, and kale.
- They are rich in antioxidants and enzymes.
Cancer has been linked to harmful toxins from foods with chemicals and preservatives. The antioxidants found in leafy vegetables are great in flushing out toxins, reprogramming cancer cells, and deactivating carcinogens.
- Chew them thoroughly.
Chewing your vegetables improve their health benefits to your body. Green leafy vegetables have glucosinolates, which can even prevent cancer cells growth. This benefit comes when antioxidants break down during the digestion process.
Broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower
- Cruciferous vegetables, with those three above as examples, have been proven to be powerful cancer killers.
They contain glutathione; this one we know as a supplement people take to achieve fairer skin is actually known as the human body’s master antioxidant. These are known to detoxify enzymes.
- They are also rich in vitamin C.
Vitamin C is known as a booster for the body’s immune system, and is a great way to protect our body from all sorts of diseases, not just cancer.
- You can also get the same nutrients from Brussels sprouts, carrots, zucchini, and artichokes.
You can consume them as soup, stir fried, and as roasted veggies. You can also snack on them with hummus or Greek yogurt.
Citrus, squash, and sweet potatoes
- What is common about the three?
They are all orange-colored. The pigment in them is caused by carotenoid antioxidants, which has been known to be one of the most effective cancer killer.
- Carotenoids, most especially beta carotene, is crucial for immunity.
It can kill cancer cells, detoxify the body, fight skin cancer, and keep the liver healthy. It also combats eye cancer.
- Their antioxidants filter UV rays that can cause skin cancer.
They can block harmful sun rays, protecting healthy cells.
- You can also consume carrot and beets for the same effect.
Remember to eat them as natural as possible. Whole grain foods also have high amount of carotenoids and Vitamin A that is helpful in fighting cancer.
- Research shows that tomatoes can help fight prostate cancer.
What’s more is that it is even possible to protect men from that type of cancer—which makes it more of a prevention than a cure.
Lycopene, which has been known as a cancer fighting nutrient, is where tomatoes get its superpower from.
- They can guard the DNA in your cells from cancer.
This means that before cancer cells can even form in your bloodstream, they are already being blocked by the antioxidants found in tomatoes.
- Unlike other vegetables, even processed tomato foods can do your body well.
Tomato pastes and sauces are as good as raw ones. You can definitely use this as an excuse to finish a plate of whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce. It is a great way to keep your body cancer-free, and lower your risks of having heart disease as a bonus.
- All berries have phytonutrients.
These are cancer fighting phytochemicals with the ability of slowing down cancer cells’ growth. They also stop new blood vessels to form, which could result to a cancerous tumor.
- While all berries can be helpful in fighting cancer, black raspberries have the highest amount of anthocyanins.
These phytochemicals are great in killing cancer cells, most especially cancer of the colon, skin, and esophagus.
- Walnuts have phytosterols.
These are cholesterol-like molecules usually present in plants. They have been proven to block estrogen receptors in cancer cells, particularly breast cancer.
- The molecules found in walnuts have been found to slow down cancer cells’ growth.
These are said to be very helpful in fighting cancer of the prostate and breast. For best results, it is recommended for cancer patients to consume at least an ounce of walnuts daily.
- Turmeric has curcumin.
Several studies have shown that curcumin has the ability to fight both breast and colon cancer. It can also decrease the size of cancerous tumors.
- Its effect is enhanced when consumed with black pepper.
It is recommended to add a teaspoon of turmeric power and ¼ teaspoon of the said pepper to your daily recipes for best results. Absorption is better when combined with pepper, which could be easy to achieve since you can easily add them to eggs or a vegetable dish,
- Other fresh herbs and spices have the same properties.
You can also get immune system boosters from thyme, ginger, cayenne pepper, and basil.
Thankfully, these super foods mentioned above are easily found in the nearby supermarkets and groceries. With or without cancer, it is a good thing to start working them all out in our diet. You know what they say, ‘prevention is better than cure.